Mold Removal Tips For the Property Owner

By | January 15, 2020

Mold spores. They practically sound like alien intruders from a 1950’s sci-fi movie–” Attack of the Killer Mold Spores!” However, that description might not be too away from the mark. Mold threatens. It can be more prevalent and can cause more health issues than termites, carbon monoxide, asbestos, or radon. Mold is all over and difficult to eliminate in nature. According to the EPA website, “There is no useful way to get rid of all mold and mold spores in the indoor environment; the way to manage indoor mold growth is to control wetness.” From one third to one-half of all structures in the United States have the moist conditions needed to facilitate the growth of mold, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Mold and mold spores can cause major illness and, in the case of someone with mold level of sensitivities, even death. Many people are slightly knowledgeable about the health issues when it pertains to mold but the majority of do not know that mold can also cause major damage to a house or building (comparable to a termite problem.) When it comes to protecting your family and your house, combating and preventing mold needs to be at the top of every house owner’s list.


The basic response: molds belong to the fungus kingdom, similar to yeasts or mushrooms (the antibiotic Penicillin is a mold.) Mold is a living organism, a part of nature, and even has an advantageous function – it breaks down all of our dead organic matter. Mold reproduces by releasing tiny spores, invisible to the naked eye, into the air. These spores land in damp areas and begin to grow and spread. While there are numerous countless ranges of mold, none would exist without the existence of wetness, air, and something to feed on. Since mold will constantly exist outdoors, it is necessary to manage the one component a house owner does not need inside your house – wetness.


There are two main reasons to fret about the spread of mold in a structure. The most essential consideration – mold can cause health issues. The second consideration – home damage. Frank Foreman, President & CEO of NO ODOR, Inc, a mold remediation company, believes mold is concerning the leading edge because everybody is learning that mold damage can impact residential or commercial property worth.

Let’s start with the health issues. Molds produce allergens that can cause reactions such as sneezing, runny noses, even asthma attacks in those allergic to it. It can even trigger inflammation to the nose, throat, lungs, and eyes to those who are not allergic. Specific molds can also launch contaminants (mycotoxins) that trigger more serious problems.


For the most part, given that mold is all over, it is impossible to avoid all indoor molds. The key to preventing mold is to control the moisture levels inside your home. The EPA site states, “If there is mold growth in your home, you need to tidy up the mold and repair the water issue. If you tidy up the mold but don’t fix the water issue, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.”

For small locations, typically a musty section of 9 to 10 square feet, the house or business owner can normally tidy up the mold themselves. For bigger areas, it is necessary to employ a professional mold removal contractor to ensure the issue is taken care of securely.

Keep in mind a few of the potential signs that mold may be growing within a property:

o Unexplained staining on a surface

o Musty or earthy smell

o Dark spots on or around vents

o Water spots anywhere

o Peeling or curling of floors or wallpaper

Do your research and work with a professional to manage even moderate mold issues as soon as possible. If one is not exactly sure where to search for a mold removal and removal expert, some services can assist everyone discover a local professional.